Friday 26 June 2020

Interlude - The Leminkainen Encounter

Between sessions forty-five and forty-six we decided to help the plot move along by running the intervening scenes via text chat. This is a transcript of what transpired:

With a noiseless thump that reverberates through the ship's hull, the Innocent Pursuit is thrown from Jump Gate into the real space of the Leminkainen system.
The Charioteer who opened the gate for you, Captain Moseley, hails you;
"I got you safely through my Lords, as promised. Now for my payment I believe?"
Anton De Havilland: Keats, I expect you will know the level of information that a Charioteer will need to establish contact with a new contact...We should honour the commitment made and then set about organising passage for ourselves from here to the capital.  As discussed we should seek to make as little contact with other parties as possible. I have the distinct concern that our trip is being monitored.
Hemlock: "Acknowledged."
To the radio, "Captain, you may have heard of Captain Cortez.  We have the pleasure of working with him. [provides contact details]  May you mutually profit."
To others on the bridge, "Anton, is it Cortez's adversaries that worry you, or something more personal?"
Anton De Havilland: "Its a good question.  Our distraction with our business leads us to pass through Ravenna where I discover Hassimir leaves in unusual circumstances,  just at the time a WMD is triggered. Perhaps I am being unnecessarily worried about this trip. I just have the nagging feeling someone is pulling strings here. All the more worrying that I find myself wandering into the nest of vipers that awaits us in our capital."
GM - On one of the bridge stations a notification chord strikes indicating that another ship or space station is hailing you.
(Captain Moseley thanks you avariciously for Corteaz details and the accompanying letter of recommendation he had you draft  and signs off)
Anton De Havilland: "I wish I knew of friends on Byzantium Secundus but unfortunately I do not have any support there other than those who would willingly wish to support any Phoenix Knight.  Before we get there we should give thought to every word or deed we undertake. We should not underestimate the influence of politics in our capital. Others make seek to make use of us. "
But first, we have one more jump to negotiate
Hemlock: "You think events on Ravenna are linked to Byzantium Secundus?  Ah, excuse me Anton," Hemlock opens the hailing channel, "This is the Innocent Persuit."
Anton De Havilland: "I just see a number of coincidences here. Coincidence is either the direct hand of the Pancreator or something more sinister"
"Keats, when we get to the capital are you Keats or is Hemlock attending to his business?"
"Someone representing the business venture should take a lead with the banks. It might be Hemlock who has to do that..."
Hemlock: "I believe Mal has had a much greater hand in the business.  But I feel no need to hide as Keats: it does me honour to be in your entourage."
Anton De Havilland: "Then we will be in the hands of Mal. I should perhaps now remind us of the other business I was tasked with in our capital.  Accounting for the betrayal of Tonbei.  It is entirely possible that there could be fallout from that. My future on this point is not clear."
GM - The cockpit squwaker device crackles into life
"This is Lady Guinevere Hawkwood, Captain of the Saint Astrid's Blade, you have entered House Hawkwood space and are a vessel of indeterminate origin and purpose. Stop engines and prepare to be boarded."
Mal: "oh shit"
Hemlock: To Mal, "Do you think they'll have heard of you this far out?"
"Could you pretend to be someone else?  We could have any crew or passengers, after all."
Mal:  "that is what I was going to recommend" at which point, Mal proceeds to stow away any house sigils he carries and rough himself up a bit.
"Jonas Smithe, resident yeoman ship hand, at your service. Call me Jon"
Hemlock: "Understood... Jon."
To radio, "Confirmed Captain.  Cutting engines.  We look forward to welcoming your party."
GM - The ship shudders as a pair of grapples from the Hawkood vessel latch on. On the Innocent Pursuit's viewports and screens Lady Guinevere's Galliot slowly grows in size as the winches wind in the massive cables, drawing the ships into an intimate embrace. Moments linger as the sleek, arrowhead shaped 'Pursuit is overshadowed by the sillouette of the Hawkwood ship. 
Boarding a ship takes time, given the benefit of not being in the midst of combat, there are many steps to take to ensure the safety of those involved. Mal makes good use of the time to try to create a new cover identity and hide reference to his true name. But when trying to perform nefarious deeds there is never quite time enough...
Sensors read that a boarding party of about a half dozen individuals are making their way across the void between the two ships. 
In hardly any time they are at the main airlock at the front of the Myrkwym. The ship echos with the thumping of a fist on the airlock and a local squwarker burst announces "This is Lady Guinevere Hawkwood of the Royal House Hawkwood, Captain of the Saint Astrid's Blade, Galliot of the Hawkwood space naval fleet with authority to visit, board and search star vessels entering Hawkwood space, and with powers of seizure and detention of items or persons of illegal nature. You are to permit the full execution of our duties without delay or impediment and submit to myself and my officers and our commands. You will be released to continue upon your voyage as and when I am satisfied. Open your airlock and permit our embarcation."
Hemlock: Aware of his limited experience in handling a starship, Hemlock goes through the safety protocols methodically, with the accompanying radio chatter: "Aye, grapples secure this end, confirmed," and so on. Similar with the safety-critical airlock operation. Will their party come directly into the bridge, or are they coming via the cargo hold?
GM - (@Hemlock the main airlock access is directly onto the bridge.)
Hemlock: In that case, Hemlock greets then standing by the pilot's chair.  He's put on his big purple cloak for the occasion.
"Welcome aboard ma'am.  I, Hemlock Justinian, have the honour of presenting you to our Captain, the Marquis de Havilland Hawkwood."
GM - The figure before you reaches up and releases the latches on the helmet of their Vacuum suit. Lifting their headgear they reveal a stern faced but not unattractive woman in her late twenties-early thirties. She has a fair, almost palid, complexion, and sandy hair captured tightly behind her head in a pair of complex braids. Her appearance brings to mind the Valkyries of ancient Urth myth. 
Behind her are four other similarly vacuum suited individuals. All bear the sigil of House Hawkwood and are obviously armed.
Anton De Havilland: "Well...well..well if it isnt the Valkyrie of Tal-Umbra.  I haven't seen you since the last push on Byzantium. Last I saw of you, you were leading a group of reservists  to a enemy supply depot. That bloody awful "No-Chin Groper Gilchrist" sent you. We felt sure the place would be boibytrapped to hell. I heard he had tried to get too friendly and that you had given him the Hawkwood Hammer... How are you doing!"
GM - "The Valkyrie" looks Anton up and down.
"Do I know you? Did you serve as one of the yeoman militia? You should be aware that if you are find guilty of a crime or misdeed I you will need to plea your previous good service before the court, not me."
Anton De Havilland: De Havilland looks a little crestfallen, "We served together during the Emperor Wars. I was possibly going by the name Anton Hawkwood at the time. Since then I have had the pleasure to inherit a title as The Marquis De Havilland, Brither of Otto Hawkwood from Ravenna, a Phoenix Knight serving his royal excellency, our Imperial father The Emperor. Actually, (leans forward slightly to whisper) I am on my way to his Imperial majesty right now on an urgent errand"
GM - She pauses and squints slightly at the Marquis. Recollection starts to grow in her mind
"Anton? Is that really you? Dear fellow, I trust that you won't mind me saying that the years have not been kind. You look more like some wild-eyed,  bearded barbarian than the starched and disciplined young officer I knew. I expected this craft to be crewed by a mob of heathen Vuldrok and at first glance you did not disappoint!"
She now looks across the rest of the assembled bridge crew. She meets Hemlock's eyes with a curt nod, glances over Tabby and then her eyes fall on Ylanath...
"But what is this? You openly bring a Barbarian into our space!?" You see her entourage place their hands to their weapons... "This seems far too convenient now...You pilot a Vuldrok vessel to Hawkwood space with a Rune Bitch aboard! Do you take me for a fool? Have you been co-opted to deliver her to our lands? Are you her willing confident and a traitor to your House and the Emperor you profess to serve or are you her prisoner? Is she reponsible for your haggard demenour and haunted stare? Speak man! We may be your chance for deliverance!"
Her hand moves to her sword hilt...
Anton De Havilland: De Havilland pauses momentarily and drifts off for a mere few seconds. "Yes..., I remember that young wide-eyed officer. I was loyal to a fault then, and I still serve loyally today. You are right though, my ship and crew do need some explanation. I have been to Vuldrok space you see, Twilight originally but was then taken prisoner to Antioch. I have recently escaped in this vessel and am now heading back to Byzantium Secundus. I apologise for my appearance... the guests of the Paladindrax pay a heavy toll for their room and board.... and regarding our Vuldrok guests, well she is the reason why I was able to escape and am still able to serve today. But I understand your concern, my crew and I appear anything but honest travellers. Perhaps if you get to witness Vuldrok space in the service of our Emperor you will think more kindly on this old soldier"
GM - "Twilight? Antyock? Paladindrats? What on Holy Terra are you talking about? Not one of those sounds like a real place, let alone one a Pancreator-fearing son of House Hawkwood should been seen!"
Anton De Havilland:  De Havilland smiles to himself, " Ha... truly spoken.  How quickly I forget the rest of the empire never hear of such places. And yet it is our Emperor's will that in the years to come such places are as familiar to you as Leminkainen is today. And if my endeavours succeed and my errand to Byzantium proved faultless then perhaps one day I will see your ship pass to Twilight to do your duty in a strange place.  But concerning the Vuldrok did I not hear that they have lived in settlements here in peace for years?   For it is not well know that the Star Nation is not a single peoples but formed from many strands.  Perhaps in the Known Worlds this is not so commonly known.
Anton De Havilland: "But I forget myself. These places might sound like fancy to you but they are real. I have the scars to prove that. Even now though our investment into jumproutes to these places is in a desperate state. My business takes me to the capital where we hope to continue to support the growing empire. This crew you see here have been through many an ordeal and we hope to make our way to the capital to manage our affairs.  I did not choose a Vuldrok ship and to mark it with colours in order to secretly navigate Imperial worlds. It is such a trophy from places you are yet to see where amazing things might be possible in the years to come. For though I suffered on Antioch, there was majesty there too and wondrous things that would create such a story. "  Pulls a tiny knife from  a back sheath " This small instrument is used to cut the fruit from the stone on Antioch. The flesh of that fruit, I have yet to taste any better". Reaches to a small silver box  and opens it showing an orange yellow powder. "This spice they use in their cooking and I saw one woman rub it into a wound to heal". Such amazing things I have seen and we will all see one day I hope.
GM - "These objects, these tales, this all reeks of heresy and apostasy to me... I fear that you have been corrupted by the influence of these Barbarian worlds, and females such as that." She nods  her head toward Ylanath "Could it be that you have strayed too far, and for too long, from the glorious light of the Pancreator? Who is your confessor? What say they about your fruit knives and boxes of dust?"
Anton De Havilland: "Valiant questions." Pulls out his Imperial Seal. "And you would also say trinkets such as these can be prized from the hands of dead men too no doubt. " looks at it carefully as if mulling something over. "I do not blame you.  You are just a knight doing your duty.  I am the same.  We do not send out lone Questing Knights to conquer worlds single-handed. They are charged with opening up lost routes, to discover new things. Sometimes new things are for the New World and sometimes  they are for the Old World too, such as concerning Jumpgates. I can see you doubt my word here. You will know a Hawkwood can be prideful.  I have given you my testimony truthfully, and more than I would have given any  other inspection party.  Consider yourself fortunate.  I presumed you had wits to discern truth from false. Were you not also gifted this responsibility because you above your comrades were gifted with a mind to determine fact from lies or have I missed the mark? Does our family now trust not their own soldiers to make their own decisions.  Perhaps seeing a brightly decorated Vuldrok ship confuses you, or the fact that a Phoenix Knight, a man you recognise, in part, create such fear and alarm to 6 well armed warriors that you feel intimidated.
Have i mistakenly assumed your authority here, perhaps there is other who makes a decision  when faced with a righteous man. Look at this grizzled  face again and answer me this. Have I lied to you during our exchange? If yes, then I am at your mercy entirely.  But if no, and your wrath is because you dislike the answer, then that is another tale of your own making.  " Stands upright like the soldier he once was, " I am Anton Marquis De Havilland Hawkwood, Phoenix Knight This is my ship, seized in foreign lands and now returning to our capital in order that our mission to open jumproutes to the planets of Twilight and Antioch continue as instructed by my Emperor, his direct orders to me. Now, Valkyrie, protector of the planet of Leminkainen make your judgement.  Am I false? If you seize me and my crew I would like my holding cell to be near to your office, within earshot for when the full impact of your mistake can be heard. Make....your...judgement protector. Am I false. Yea, or nea?"
GM - The atmosphere on the bridge shifts immediately the moment Anton takes out his Imperial Seal. The Lady fixes her eyes on it and seems unable to remove them throughout the Marquis' eloquent speech. Her face seems to flicker through mixed and conflicting emotions; Hemlock sees what could be awe, frustration and perhaps even jealousy. 
Anton has played his hand and she cannot trump him. Not yet, in any case. A good soldier, a good Commander, knows when to retreat, when to consolidate and, if and when, to retaliate.
"My Lord.." she bows her head slightly. Her tone has returned to it's original cold formality. All hint of familiarity and wartime camaraderie has been curbed. "I trust that you will forgive me my...previous enthusiasm." 
She meets Anton's gaze once more "But I also trust that you and your...people...will not impede us in the conduct of the rest of our duties. While I cannot, nor would not, unduely impede the journey of a dutiful servant of the Emperor and cannot legally tax your passage, I still have a duty to my House to search your vessel. I am sure I need not remind you that you can be held accountable, even if only by your own Order's Court, for any contraband or illegal activity we discover."
Anton De Havilland: "Aye, you speak honestly. I would never hold a dutiful knight up in their charge.  Set your men to the task" Once the Hawkwoods are not seeing his face, MDH gives Ylanath and Mal and thoughtful look...
GM - "Jon" enters the bridge, mop and bucket in hand. He raises his eyes just enough to meet Anton's thoughtful glance and nods a brief "'scuse me sir." to Hemlock
Lady Guinevere's crew gets to work, two of them pushing past "Jon" to search deeper into the bowels of the ship. They don't give the yeoman a second glance. The Hawkwood captain glances after them and looks back to Anton. Then suddenly snaps back with a double take "MAL?!!?"
Mal: In a deep and broken voice:
"no, ma'am, name is Jonas Smithe, ma'am"
*begins rigorously scrubbing floor
GM - Her voice rising and breaking with emotion "Don't you dare try to evade me Malcolm! You owe me that much at least! I should have known our paths would cross again one day but I never expected it to be like this..."
Mal: With the fake voice slowly become more stereotypically Almalik:
"No, I'm just Jonas "Jon" Smithe the Yeoman...."
Mal: *mal begins slowly shuffling away
GM - "Will you really force my hand like this?" A tear appears in the corner of her eye. The Valkyrie waivers. She points at "Jon". "Seize him."
Mal: "fine fine, you got me"
grumble grumble
Mal: "what's the charge this time? Last time I checked, I've not done anything in your derestriction"
GM - "Really? You think my first concern is the crimes you have committed against our House? After all these years, after everything I went through with you, and because of you, you think that I am just going to slap you in irons and be done with it? Mal! Do you truly think me so callous? So unreasonable? So...much like you?"
Mal: "well, until recently i thought everyone was like me. And hey, if i can try and become a better person, who knows what anyone else is capable of. Even Anton is slowly becoming more like me"
GM - Lady Guinevere darts a look at Anton, then back at Mal.
"I suppose you have tricked the Emperor into swearing you into his company of errant knights too, have you?"
Mal: "no, not yet... But now you mention it, that's not a bad idea... :thinking:"
Anton De Havilland: Lady Guinevere, can I assume you know our deckhand? How is it that you went through an ordeal at his expense? Please explain to us what is occurring here?
GM - Her gaze is still transfixed on "Jon" 
"As he obviously has not been completely honest with your Lordship, I think it better if Sir Malcolm Hawkwood, Knight of our Royal House, were to explain. I am sure that the crew who have obviously and, I fear to say, ignorantly, taken you under their wing deserve to hear how we are "acquainted", don't you, Mal? "
Hemlock: "I fear the fault is mine.  On understanding that some of Sir Mal's family think ill of him, I recommended that he don a less conspicuous guise.  I have known him always as a stalwart companion, and I would not wish my poor advice to cause him further trouble."
Mal: "Well you see, quite awhile before any of the other stories I might have told you, before becoming the 'black sheep' I am today, me and Guinevere where kind of... that is to say we... courted each other. Well, I did most of the courting, since I was training to take my father's place in the courts some day at the time (2 drums and a cymbal). It was great fun... but at the time, the rash young man I was becoming, that's all I ever thought it was. After I finished studying, I went off to Ravenna, it was nearby on a planetary scale relatively speaking. " 
Turning to look Guinevere in the eyes, "I left you a lovely heartfelt note, and a pretty good portrait. I'd been drawing that for months... I told you I'd come back, I just got caught up. My 1 year trip turned into 2, and then I fell in with the wrong crowd and got kind of stuck there. That's why I'm here, now, to try and get stuff back to how the could have been, how they should have been. For what it's worth, finding you was top of my list. I wouldn't have dreamt of going back to my father before I'd patched everything up with you. And look, as soon as I can smooth things over, I'd wanna make things right between us. After all, my intentions were for me to encounter you again after having sorted out my record..."
GM - Guinevere meets and holds Mal's gaze. Her troops pause, awaiting a fresh or revised orders. One has already grabbed Mal by the arm. Still staring at him her shoulders seem to drop slightly.
"You really expect me to believe that? To accept that you intended to return? That I was on your schedule of loose ends and unfinished business? You flatter me. If I for a single second believed it...well, duels have been fought for less of an insult."
There is a weariness and frustration in her voice, as if speaking to a child who has spilt milk over the nursery floor and sits in it playing, not realising what a mess they have made.
"Do you even know what you left in your wake? How your disgrace affected your family? Your actions broke your father, he is a shadow of his former granduer and his lands, such as remain, lie in ruin. But you know what upset him the most? He could explain your misdemenaours, your crimes and actions; which young knight hasn't had a time of excess and adventure? While many would say that you took things beyond that which was excusable he would always seek to defend you publically, no matter how tenuous or damaging to his own honour and standing. What wounded him to the core, what broke him was the news of your  excommunication. The fact that the Pancreator's grace had been withdrawn from you, that you were, that you are a souless creature, damned for all eternity...that tore that great man to shreads."
Mal: "Are you calling me a liar?!"
Shaking his arm free of the troops grip as best he can.
"You're right, duels have been fought for less. If you think me a liar, I will duel to defend my honour. I may be the black sheep, I may be excommunicated, but hawkwood blood still flows through these veins!"
GM - "Calm down Malcolm, You are a liar. A known liar by reputation and action. Why do you think your family treat you as such? I will not dishonour you further by beating you in a duel that holds no offence as it's foundation."
"You say that you have changed, Mal? That you are no longer that man and your Justinian associate speaks up for you on that basis. But you aren't the only one who has changed over these years."
"Perhaps I should thank you? You left me in a situation where I was also cast out. If even "Black Mal" had cast me aside what value was I to any other suitor? My reputation was as tarnished as your own. But I swore to overcome it - I plunged into my duties and obligations to our House as never before."
"Anton has seen me on the battlefield, he can bear witness to the fury I would unleash upon our enemies before you deserted me, that is as to nothing compared to how I learned to conduct myself in my quest to regain the good favour of my House. Duty has become all to me. "
"If I leave you aboard this vessel what would you have me tell your Father? Or your child?"
Anton De Havilland: "Child! The rabbit hole goes further than the arm can reach!"
Mal: " Well, I intended on meeting with my father whilst on Byzantium Secondus, if he is still there and... wait what?!?"
GM - "Yes Malcolm, three lines of second hand poetry and a sketch from your collection of generic female studies wasn't all you left me with.
But do not worry, I never kept your existence from them, they know exactly who and what you are and have shouldered that burden throughout their young life. "
Mal: "Well i can't argue with the poetry thing,  but that sketch was the genuine article. And believe, I'd pour every firebird I have into fixing what I've done if not for the fact that as it stands I'd be doing more harm than good. Look, if I can get to the right people, I can convince them that I've changed. I've got a cunning plan. What the worst that could happen? If i go talk to my father, then you don't have to. If my plan works, you get your honour back. And if it doesn't work, it doesn't impact you, since De Havilland has already 'apprehended me' and therefore it isn't your duty to take me in"
GM - Steel returns to her eyes
"As always you aren't listening to me! I restored my honour! Me, and me alone! I bought it back with blood, sweat and tears and worked my way up from disgrace to the captaincy of a Galliot. That was all my labour, the fruits of my toil. Don't you dare to belittle that by implying that you will swoop in and become my long lost saviour. As for apprehending you, well that falls to the Marquis here." 
She turns to Anton, anger still evident but currently reigned in by professionalism and years of habitual restraint.
"Your Lordship Marquis De Havilland Hawkwood, Knight of the Order of The Phoenix, is this man under your auspice and do you extend sanctuary to him until such time as he is brought to court or dealt with by your own discretion, with the powers extended by your liege Lord, House and Order, understanding that he is under sanction from the Holy Orthodox church, has had all sacrements and blessings withdrawn, that his soul is damned and excluded from the Luminous Glory and that such spiritual matters are excluded from the authority of powers temporal?"
Anton De Havilland: De Havilland grabs a metal support running crossways above his head, and leans forward gently. The figure of De Havilland fills the small passageway between the cockpit and the body of the ship. The faces in the room watch him closely as the grizzled soldier thinks through his next words carefully.
Anton De Havilland:  "I am sure that I can take Jon...Mal...into safeguarding until such times that he can account for his wrongdoings. I would like to know the full account of the crimes he has committed though so that I can deliver a full account of them if asked. The excommunication in particular is worth knowing more of since, as you state, we are in a Vuldrok ship with a foreigner aboard. Understanding the full accounting  for our deckhand  would seem wise now, rather than at a point when the truth of it is bearing down upon the whole crew."
Anton De Havilland: "In addition... if Mal has committed wrongs to your family... and to your...........child.......I would actively seek a means for him to account for that in such a way that your own pride in your own actions remains intact, but that this child should not be wronged in their own life and be forfeit in any regards because of circumstance. I would want to ensure that things there are put in good order, so that when all emotions have cooled that there is a sense that right has been restored.  This seems righteous and just.
"If our Lady agrees to accept that Mal would seek to make some amends, if this be agreeable in principle then let me then hear the full fallout concerning the deeds and misdemeanor of our black sheep"
GM - The Lady nods.
"I appreciate the gesture and I begin to see the measure of Your Lordship's character. You are more a son of House Hawkwood than your unconventional attire and company would have had me believe.
As for our child, they are well cared for, but I see them only infrequently. It has ever been the way that duty has drawn loyal servants away from their loved ones..."
She pauses, casts a swift dark glance at Mal and then continues
"While I know some of what Malcolm has been accused of I fera that the full extent was never revealed to me as I was placed under the same dark shadow and thought a co-conspiritor. Added to which I doubt that the crimes stopped after he fled my bedchamber. I propose that he gives us his own full account. I for one would be interested to hear it..."
Mal: "I guess it's time I tell the full story. You may wanna take a seat as this may take awhile."
Mal proceeds to perch on the nearest chair/table.
"My father wanted me well educated, so I could take his position in the family when the time came. As a result I spent all my tutelage in the courts. For a time I was a decent duellist as well. Eventually it became appropriate for me to begin courting, and at the time the status I was to inherit made attracting ladies fairly easy. That's why I began courting Guinevere. She was the only one not to flock to dashing looks and sharp wit. After my time in the courts was finished, I decided to travel a little. See the known worlds beyond Byzantium Secundus. Ravenna seemed like a sensible place. I'd heard it was nice, had good vineyards. On a planetary scale it wasn't that far off as I said before. So, with the promise to return in a year after having my fun, take my duties to my lady and house seriously, I left.
I arrived on Ravenna and quickly took to the local courts. Having found out where my closest cousins on the planet were, I'd arranged to stay with them for a little while, at least to start with. I didn't take part in the local politics. I spent most of my time drinking and learning more about my expanded family. It was like one big bachelor party... but with it came the worlds biggest and longest hangover. One night, in the pub, when visiting Deep Core 104 about 5 or 6 months in, I met this... guy. He bought me a few drinks, told me I had a "special gift". He knew I had it, because he had it too. I mean, I'd always suspected something, hearing all these stories about psychic stigmas, never wanted to believe that my..." Mal gestures to his chest "... was one such stigma, but something had always seemed off so I thought 'what the hell, I'll humour him'. He told me where and when to meet him, and I complied."
Mal:  "He introduced me to his coven, what I later learned was the invisible path, and they told me they could teach me to do 'great things' and that it was 'my calling from the universe' and the egotist I am, I lapped it up. They showed me what I could do, taught me how to use my 'gift' and then I realised I'd been on Ravenna almost 2 years. By this point, I later found out, rumours of me abandoning my family started. I decided I'd leave, come back to Byzantium Secundus. But then they told me 'the truth'. They sat me down and fed me lies of how the church was manipulating to repress psychics. How it was up to people like me, who could detect psychics, to defend them. How I was suited for 'the coming conflict' where my ability to deflect psychic abilities would be invaluable to them. They convinced me I was needed there. So I penned a letter. Nothing to specific, but to inform my family I had 'found a needing cause' with specific instruction to relay the information to Guinevere and so they knew I'd be back in a year or so at most... If only it had been that simple. See, the Invisible Path liked my status. I helped them sneak some people into places, sneak people out. There were quite a few nobles there and we all helped shepherd their members around. I grew to like a life in the shadows. It gave me a great adrenaline rush and I could still keep up the drinking and parties. But then... then they abducted a priest... He was an Orthodox priest called father Lewellen. They branded him, beat him, flayed him. And then they handed me a knife." Flicking his wrist, Mal's knife falls out of his sleeve. "I knew what I had to do and I knew I didn't want to do it. But I still did it. As I looked at him, the pleading in his eyes... he wanted me to end it, and a part of me didn't want to give him the satisfaction. But for the sake of both of us I knew I had to. They left his body out so it would be found, not to lead it back to us, just to scare the church a bit."
Mal: "Let them know they were there. We weren't Invisible anymore. I learnt the gravity of my situation and actions that night. How many penitent psychers who wouldn't join us and how many non-psychers that 'looked at a member funny' had been killed. And how many of those deaths I'd help facilitate. 
That night, for the first night in 3 years since coming to Ravenna, I prayed. I prayed for forgiveness. Not for just for what I did, but for what I was going to do. I did everything I could to climb their ranks. They may have not agreed with the church, but killing, killing a defenceless priest, that wasn't what I'd signed up to. You can't just walk away from these people, so I'd take them down from the inside. I couldn't focus on my house or family, this is all that mattered, this was all that had to matter. The higher the rank, the more important the tasks I was given. I wasn't able to save many, but where I could I helped prisoners or would be victims escape. Thanks to them, my name stayed out the radar for quite some time. Every accusation had enough members on the defence to back down. I kept up my persona as a drinker and gambler, adopting this black sheep identity, so that my blatant disregard for my house was within character. The Invisible path just thought I was doing a good job selling my story. I had no idea the apparent effect this had at home.
Unfortunately however, after being in the Invisible path for 6 years (6 and a half years on Ravenna), I learnt two horrific details. The alarm bell that made the hangover worse ten times over. Number 1: This had just been 1 cell. Sure, I was highly ranked within the Invisible Path on Ravenna, but off world? Off world the identity and location of any other cells was unknown to me. My great plan, what I'd thrown my life and, as I've now learnt, the lives of my family away for, would be nothing more than a footnote in the story of the Invisible Path."
Mal: "Number 2: I learnt quite unfortunately that a member of my cell had done a better job than me, and had been conspiring with the church.
Many coven members died, others were arrested. I was locked up in a church prison for psychic. Knowledge that I was of notable standing was all that was needed, combined with their spies testimony, for the church to excommunicate me. Of course, the specifics were not knowledge to everyone, but who needs specifics in this sort of situation. I must have spent about a year in that prison, everyday thinking about Father Lewellen. I pleaded for the church to get a penitent psycher to scan my mind, see the truth to my story, but when you a suspected murderer that murmurs the name of your first victim, people think you're a crazy psychopath. I managed to escape, barter my way back to the deep cores and seek sanctuary with family members. I conned some cash and resources, before bumping into De Haviland and Hemlock here as well as another psychic called sir Hasamir Torrenson. I set about trying to find any other escapees, thinking I could at least clean up Ravenna since leaving the planet wouldn't be feasible. Then I had an incident in a deep core... a conversation with a priest escalated and well... to say I'd never be convicted due to lack of evidence would be an understatement. I was haunted by Father Lewellen yet again, and deservedly so. But still wanted to round up any other coven members I could find, maybe hand them in and clear my name. Well I eventually got recognised and had to go on the run, ruining that plan, until I had the luck of being able to journey to Twilight, the lost world. I had sir Hasimir keep tabs on the one member of my coven I'd been able to locate, since he was a mutual friend, and I left again."
"Years later, here I am. Of course I skipped the part with alien and decados assassins, and psychic ghosts, but surprisingly none of that was my fault...
This sensible and serious side of me probably comes as quite a shock to you De Haviland after all these years, all those debts you owe me..."
"That's my story. I must have been away about 11 or 12 years now... Recounting this now, I can see why you see my actions as irredeemable, why you would think me to still be lying. And De Haviland... I need to stop hiding behind you, I've done so for two many years now.
I've lived the life of a noble, a pirate, a gambler, a drunk, a vigilante... of sorts... and a duellist. I've run a foul of every major faction at least once. I've had great friends and found love.
I guess what I'm saying is, for the first time, I've shown my hand. All my cards are on the table. No lies, not this time. It's not worth it anymore... If I'm reaching my end, then it was a jolly good run."
Mal turns to meet Guinevere's gaze.
"I just want you to know, I truly cared for you, and I wanted to come back, but even if I had it wouldn't have been safe, for either of us."
Mal: Mal takes off his sheathes, holsters and weapons. Fiddling with the knife in his hand he hesitates, before putting it down where he's been perching and whispering to himself, "I'm sorry Father", before stepping towards Guinevere with his wrists held out towards her, ready to be shackled.
"If you grant me no other favours, grant me this one: Can I at least know their name?"
Anton De Havilland: De Havilland exhaled a deep breath in shock and looks to Guinevere
GM - Time seems frozen. Guinevere doesn't take her eyes from Mal. One of her guards shifts somewhat uneasily.
GM - The Lady eventually breaks the impasse. Without taking her eyes from Mal she speaks;
"If your Lordship will grant us leave for a moment and a space within your vessel where we may have some privacy I believe there are some matters I need to discuss with Sir Malcolm. Would you please excuse us and direct us to a suitable location aboard?"
Anton De Havilland: "Of course..." replies De Havilland. "Mal, why  dont you go below deck to the storage bay. Plenty of space down there and we can seal the hatch for privacy?"
GM - Guinevere lets Mal, still unbound, go first and follows him to the access hatch. As she passes one of her men she subvocalizes but none of the cadre catch what she says. After they have climbed down below deck, one of her guards closes the hatch and stands guard over it. Another Hawkwood marine stands guard at the bridge airlock and the other two turn to face the Marquis. Lifting the visor of their vacuum suit helm one asks
"Shall we continue with the search, your Lordship?"
Anton De Havilland: "By all means..." gestures De Havilland sweeping his arms open
GM - The Marine nods and gestures to his companion. They start at the fore of the ship and work their way to the aft, opening every cupboard, compartment and container. They are thorough and comprehensive, having done this to hundreds of previous vessels.Ylanath looks furtively at Anton...
Anton De Havilland: "So I wonder what is going on downstairs? Just imagine having that kind of conversation with someone you haven't met for years.  I couldnt even begin to fathom what else might be going on.  Hey, here's a thought. Do you think it might be wise leaving a captain alone with a confessing psychic and murderer. I mean what if my captain went off for a confab with someone like that and something happened to them. I wouldn't want to be that soldier. I've met guys like that. I bet they send guys like that to back-world planets that have a high incident of Symbiot attack.  Nasty little blighters those those symbiots. Can turn a soldier inside out in seconds. Nah, I wouldn't want that to happen. I'd probably insist on being present with my captain with my helmet plate up so I could see her and not hear anything...Yes sir... that would be the smart thing to be doing...".
GM - The marine continues rummaging through an overheard storage locker.
"Indeed that is so your Lordship, I served a term alongside my lady on garrison duty on Stigmata and we fought those beasts side by side. I am unfortunately well aquainted with the horrors that they are capable of."
He stops his search and looks straight at Anton. As they lock eyes the Marquis can't help but catch a glimpse of a deadness behind them, a lingering footprint of the man's experiences in the field.
"But then again, your lordship, I am also well versed in the horrors that my Lady is capable of."
Anton De Havilland: "Then I hope Mal survives his chat'
GM - "I believe that outcome may rest with My Lady, and obviously the Pancreator's will. Perhaps a prayer might  be suitable, your lordship?"
Anton De Havilland: I would pray for his soul but the poor creature has been excommunicated, but it is good to have hope and faith that he may find the right path again.  So you have served on Stigmata, I have heard terrible things from there. Without the good work you delivered their soldier, our empire would already be overrun. Personally I haven't had the pleasure of meeting that enemy face to face but we have enemies enough within the Known Worlds.
"So... tell me about your captain? She seems as tough as they come these days.  Do you know of all the campaigns she has served in?  Personally I liked her from the moment we first met. One of the men i was serving with got overly confident with her. She put him straight right there and then. No nonsense. Did her job well and worked damn hard at it too.'MDH will keep the soldier engaged in case Ylanath needs to do anything discreet. MDH had asked her not to bring anything incriminating to the known worlds and so if she is looking nervous then he will be concerned..."
GM - The marine continues his work with polite, non-committal responses. De Havilland gets the impression that the memory of Stigmata may have brought on this laconic state.
Anton and Hemlock hadn't noticed that Ylanath had slipped away from the bridge until she reappears. Anton can't help but notice that she looks pale and seems to whince as she sits in one of the chairs on the bridge. He recalls her words to him back on Antioch; "...there is always a price to pay. Always there is a sacrifice..."
GM - About two hours pass. The marines seem unpreturbed and just continue with their search. They occasionally ask questions about the nature of certain items, in a manner that could be described as "respectfully probing". They operate with the authority of their Captain but they show appropriate deference to the Marquis and a knight of House Justinian.
Finally the relative quiet of the ship is disturbed by the heavy metal clang of the cargo bay hatch opening. Lady Guieneve emerges.
GM - She barks, "Sergeant-at-arms! Have you found anything that merits delaying the Marquis and his crew any further?"
"No, m'lady. There are items of a rare and valuable nature but nothing that presents an immediate danger to House Hawkwood, given the Privelage of Martyrs."
"Very well." She nods to Anton and extends her hand "Your Lordship, we will bid you safe passage and wish you the blessings of the Pancreator on your future journey."
Anton De Havilland: The airlock doors groan and slam shut. A harsh crunching noise confirms that they are fully locked in place, followed soon after by a fierce and unrelenting hiss. The Marquis turns round to the solemn figure of Mal and takes a deep breath. "Right...well...sort yourself out and then meet the rest of us upstairs....when you are ready." The Marquis hesitates for a moment as if unsure of whether he should say or do something more to support his cousin but he isnt sure whether that would be right or not. He heads back to the access steps and briefly reaches out to remove the storage bay medkit from his holdings.  Clamping the bag under his left arm he climbs to the upper decks.
Hemlock catches sight of The Marquis as he climbs up through the access hatch.  They exchange a tentative look as the Marquis carefully steps through the cramped walkway tand approaches the cockpit.  He throws the medkit into an empty seat and leans on the cockpit door. Hemlock looks a little confused for a moment but then remembers something importantand immediatelyasks "How is he ?"
Hemlock: De Havilland takes a deep breath. "Honestly,  I have no idea."
"I wonder how old his child is," Hemlock frowns, "And what they have been told about him.  Ought we leave him awhile?"
De Havilland pauses again and weighs up the options. He isn't sure. This event was beyond any he had expected from Mal. No knowing how he will react. "Maybe ... pay him a visit?" questions The Marquis.
Hemlock peers back at the bulkhead door, then throws his cloak off onto the pilot's seat and stalks out. In leaving, he sees the medkit get rolled out flat; De Havilland reaches out and pulls the cockpit door closed....
Ylanath meets Anton's gaze.
"You do not need that."
Hemlock: Hemlock finds Mal down in the cargo bay [let me know if that's wrong Harry].  He doesn't say anything, but curls up cross-legged on a nearby cargo crate and sits in silence.
Mal: "well, that definitely could have gone worse..."
Hemlock: "Where is your family?  Which planet?"
Mal: "Well, when I last spoke to them, and from what Guinevere tells me, they are still on Leminkainen."
Hemlock: "Then, you could see your child." Hemlock looks searchingly at Mal, but he's never been good at reading people.  "Are they healthy?  Are they safe?"
Mal: "I've been told, they're ok. Guinevere want's me to follow through with my promises before she'll let me see them though."
Hemlock:  "Oh," Hemlock frowns, "I suppose that's understandable.  So what do we need to do first to complete your promises?"
Mal: "first, I need to atleast talk to my father. And at some point I'm going to have to patch things up with the church... Some how..."
Hemlock: "The church?" he scowls. "I always thought excommunication a ridiculous concept.  The thought that an omnipotent Pancreator, if they or it exists, would decide the fate of your soul because some old man in a robe declared it, seems preposterous.  But if Guinevere wishes it, you need not face the church alone."  Hemlock slides off the crate, and, before leaving, briefly lays a hand on Mal's shoulder.  "I hear the church can be swayed by donations, if nothing else."

No comments:

Post a Comment