Wednesday 20 August 2014

Of notebooks and notes

I like stationary.  Always have.  I'm also compulsive and subject to Autistic spectrum behaviours.  I tell you this so that you will understand a little of both the passion and curious idiosyncrasies I have about note taking when I'm running a game.

For a start each campaign has it's own separate note book and woe betide anything get's written in the wrong book (I've copied EVERYTHING by hand into second books and thrown away the originals before...).  The same applies with what I use to write *with* - certain pens for certain books etc.

See...I told you there were idiosyncrasies.

Anyhow, starting a new Fading Suns game meant I needed a suitable note book to transcribe everything.

Oh, I should point that out as well, the book (and pens, pencils, notelets, post-its and whatever else) have to feel "right".  They have to fit with whatever mental visual aesthetic I've got  in mind for the game.  As an extension of the game they have to fit *with* the game. At least in my head. Sometimes it's an undefinable thing, I will know what is "right" and "wrong" without being able to explain it.  Thankfully as I love stationary I buy cool books and pens when I see them and keep a stash ready for use. Sometimes one leaps out straight away, sometimes none fit and I have to trawl the shops for the imaginary notebook I've conjured up in my head...

Yeah...we're moving away from idiosyncrasies into bat-sh*t crazy now, aren't we?

I'd also point out that even in this electronic and technological age I prefer to write things down.  NPC stats, maps, character doodles, background notes, plotlines, family trees, histories etc. All of it goes in the notebook. Sometimes in pencil first then ink once it's definite.  I'm old skool.

So, the Fading Suns note book.  It started as a simple purple soft touch "Not-Moleskine" notebook from a local supermarket. Functional, roughly the same size as the Revised Rulebooks, and PURPLE.  Purple is good. It also seemed reminiscent of the Phoenix Empire...so that settled it.

Then I decided it needed some annotation.  I don't often do this but for this book it seemed right - I drew the imperial Phoenix  crest on the front and (at my seven year old daughter's suggestion) the Jumpgate cross on the rear.  They've worn a little and smudged through use but I think that only adds to the effect of a "lived in" chronicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment